FAQ-- Common Insurance Dispute Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is the damage to my home or condominium covered?
Most Florida property insurance contracts cover a very wide scope of damages. In fact, most homeowners' and condominium owners' policies cover all damage, but for a few listed exceptions. Property insurance covers significantly more than just fire and hurricane damage. Despite that fact, insurance companies routinely deny claims, even claims for covered damages. It is important to have a skilled and knowledgeable property claim insurance lawyer review your case to review your damage to determine if it is covered. That fact is especially true if the insurance company has denied your claim. We help our clients get their damages covered like they deserve.
Q.We think we have a property insurance claim, what should we do?
First breathe deep. Second, if possible locate the source of the damage, i.e. a broken toilet supply line, leaking air conditioner, ruptured washing machine line, leaky pipe, or whatever else maybe the cause, and try to stop additional damage from occurring. Third, immediately call our office to help you determine if the damage is covered and to report the claim to the insurance company. Insurance companies are looking for any reason to deny a claim, let us ensure that when your claim is reported to the insurance company it is reported properly.
Q.Should I trust the insurance company's estimate of the cost to repair the damages to my property?
Absolutely Not! Insurance companies are FOR PROFIT BUSINESSES. Insurance companies are profit driven. That means the company strives to accept more premiums each year then it pays out in claims. Rarely will an insurance company truly estimate the costs to properly repair your property. That would hurt its bottom line. If a property insurance company is offering a payment and requiring signing of any documentation, especially a release, in return it is attempting to underpaying you. We help our clients obtain the true value of the costs to properly repair their property. That assistance can translate into tens of thousands of dollars.
Q. What does it cost to retain a property insurance claim attorney to sue my insurance company?
Nothing. LeRoy Law works on behalf of its clients on a contingency fee basis. That means we sue insurance companies without it costing the client anything. Our fee is awarded only if the client recovers from the insurance company. More importantly, the insurance company maybe be required to pay the entirety of said legal fees and costs separately.
Q. How will I know the extent of the damages to my property and the actual costs of repair?
You wouldn't. Damage to one part of a home often involves repairing damages that a homeowner could not imagine. For instance, a broken dishwasher water hose that flood one section of the kitchen damaging one section of cabinets may entitle the homeowner to replacement of the entire kitchen, including all cabinets, counter-tops, back-splashes, and painting. It is possible that any flooring anywhere in the home that matches that of the kitchen would also have to be replaced. Our office will help prepare an accurate estimate of the extent of the damages to your property and the actual costs to properly repair your property.
Q. My policy has confusing clauses! I can't tell what is truly covered. Can you help?
Insurance arrangements are exceptionally confusing and loaded with numerous escape clauses which can keep you from getting every one of the advantages you are entitled to. If you are having an issue holding benefits you feel you are qualified for, send your policy to me for a discussion. After a short study of your policy, we will have the capacity to figure out if or not your coverage applies to your misfortune, and discover if the insurer has committed "bad faith".
Q. What does bad faith insurance mean?
Purposefully offering a settlement much lower than what is sensible could be considered bad faith. Insurers have a commitment to manage their protected clients in a sensible, reasonable way. "Low-balling," is just considered a type of bad faith.
Q. The insurance company has made my life hell. Can I sue for pain and suffering?
In the event that the Court deems that the Insurer unlawfully denied your claim, you would be qualified to recoup the benefits of the arrangement of your policy for the claim, and potentially your damages from emotional distress, lost wages and lawyer expenses. Sometimes where the Insurer has shown glaring, purposeful behavior, some damages are compensated.